Preparation is the key to organising a fantastic school camp experience and ensuring students, teachers and parent volunteers have a great camp experience. School camp is all about students taking responsibility, challenging themselves, learning new skills and trying new things. The aim is to encourage personal development, promote active and healthy lifestyles and introduce students to outdoor and environmental education.
As an experienced provider of school camp programs, we know there is a lot of pre-planning and paperwork that goes into the organisation, so getting started as early as possible will make the process more bearable. We’ve outlined the suggested time frame to provide you with an overview of planning preparation.
12 Weeks Before Camp
- Decide what the top learning outcomes will be for your students. Not just when and how, but why are you doing it?
- Review the camp program to ensure it aligns with these learning outcomes.
- Work with camp staff to tweak or tailor the program.
- Review the risk assessment, accommodation layout, catering information, emergency management information and distribute to teachers.
8 Weeks Before Camp
- Distribute camp information to students and parents.
- Camp Dates
- Venue including Accommodation Site
- Accommodation Site Phone Number
- Staff attending and their qualifications
- Travel Arrangements
- Medical Assistance
- Risk Management
- Educational Purpose
- Cost, what it includes & method of payment
6 Weeks Before Camp
- Ensure return catering forms and accommodation plans are finalised and returned to camp staff.
- Check that staff members have appropriate qualifications in first aid, resuscitation and child protection.
- Book and confirm bus transportation.
- Collect from parents:
- Confirmation of their child’s attendance
- Completed Consent Forms
- Completed Medical Forms
- Completed Medication Requirements (if applicable)
- Completed Dietary Need (if applicable)
4 Weeks Before Camp
- Issue Student Camp Equipment, Clothing & Toiletries Checklist
The Day Before Camp
- Medical forms
- Student lists
- Accommodation plans
- Activity groups
And lastly, if you’ve had a great time and camp has met your expectations, then don’t forget to get in early and book future school camps!
Host your next school camp with us at The Collaroy Centre. Choose from our wide range of exciting outdoor activities and immerse your students in the natural world with fun and rewarding activities that are close to home. The Collaroy Centre provides fun and memorable experiences. Get in touch with our enthusiastic staff who are dedicated to helping you achieve your desired school camp goals.